Friday 11 June 2010

Ke Nako!

Finally, it is here, the greatest tournament on earth after the North Kerry Senior Hurling Championship. The 2010 World Cup, ahem, kicks off this evening, and in an exclusive for you, lucky blog readers (hello Ciara), I will be previewing each and every game over the next four weeks.
Yeah, that's how much y'all mean to me (especially Ciara, who not reads my blogs but also comments on them too. Literacy runs strong in our family).
As my dear, beloved, if bankrupt, Ireland will not be participating, I will be able to provide a stringently objective view of the proceedings, influenced by neither fear not favour (though the later can be bought). Plus, with my vast experience of the beautiful game (two consecutive seasons with Marley Park Celtic U-11's), I will be able to comment authoritively on all the action both on and off the pitch, combining the dispassionate analysis of Johnny Giles, and the
the erudition of Eamonn Dunphy (albeit without the cocaine habit).
So, to the strains of Paul Simon's 'Graceland', I will begin today's preview.

South Africa v. Mexico
Tough one to call. Both come with formidable support - the home team being heavily backed by Johannesburg's very own 'Hard Living' Gang while the Mexicans can call on the formidable might of the
Juárez Cartel (as featured in the movie 'Traffic'). If things are still tight with 15 minutes to go, expect small arms fire between the dugouts and kidnappings from the subs bench.
Result: Depends on how hostage negotiations go. Mexicans probably to shade it on the strength of their better strikers, snipers, and snatch squads.

The Mexico starting eleven for tonight's match.


France v. Uruguay
I know I said in the above preamble that I would be 'stringently objective', but there's a reason Ireland aren't in the World Cup this year and they are playing in the other game tonight. So F**k France, F**k 'em. I am predicting that the 'Les Bleus' (French for 'Cheating Bastards') will be annihilated in the soccer equivalent of armageddon. Unfortunately, they are playing Uruguay, so I might have to wait a while.
Result: Uruguay to win 7-0 and the process cause Thierry Henry to be stretchered off with one of those injuries they refuse to replay on TV for fear of upsetting people. Go the La Celestes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...