Thursday 28 October 2010

Men of the soil





God shook some of his frozen dandruff over us yesterday. He didn't even have the good grace to wait until the start of November, but instead flung winter at us before we had even finished with Autumn.
Now, this mightn't be such a big deal to all of you basking in the warm benevolence of the North Atlantic Drift, buy we live in a part of the world where the time frame for 'winter' extends to the beginning of May. Think I exaggerate? Well then let me remind you, dear readers, of this:
The weekend before last Cian and myself took ourselves off to the mountains above Lake Toya to plant some trees, because that is the kind of caring-sharing we-all-live-on-one-planet-with-mother-nature kind of family we are. So, hippies for a day, but rugged, manly, LL Bean attired hippies. (Mammy was busy with her 'school festival', but from how she subsequently described it - "feckin busy" - I don' think it was all that festive.
The event, in a sort of outdoorsy, try not to think of the environmental damage house building actually entails, way was organised by my good friends at Sudo Home, who obviously had forgotten about the events of last spring.
Or perhaps they presumed (prayed?) I wouldn't come. But the invitation (yes, on recycled paper) had said trees, and importantly, free barbecue afterwards, so Cian and myself jumped in the car, stuck some Neil Young in the cd player, and sang about searching for a heart of gold, cos I'm getting old, man.
In actual fact, it turned out to be a great day, the occasional rain shower notwithstanding. Cian was in his element, wielding shovel, digging soil, planting trees, while I felt all Daddy like as I instructed my son in the ancient Kerry art of digging a good, round hole.
And on the way home, we had ice cream. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...