Saturday 16 July 2011

Biblical rain

When I first came to Hokkaido I was told that amongst its myriad of attractions (volcanoes, all the salmon you can eat, regular earthquakes, plains, fresh food, beautiful women from Tokachi, bears, it's not Tokyo, Sapporo Beer Festival, only two seasons - winter and August, etc.), was the fact we didn't suffer through 'tsuyu', the rainy season.
Well, dear reader, they took advantage of my wide-eyed, round-eyed, indeed blue-eyed naivety: they lied to me.
As I write it is pouring nekko and inu outside ('Cats and dogs' for all you monolinguals out there, or if you're from Dublin, 'fairly feckin lashing down'). Has been since Thursday and due to continue through until at least Tuesday.
It's a bank holiday on Monday so we have a three day weekend to enjoy, but I think the most we will be doing is helping the animals on to the ark, two by two.
Cian has already got cabin fever after watching our entire Pixar movie collection this morning (Cars, Wall-E, Up), exhausting all the spectacular crash possibilities of his train set careering in to a lego station, and throwing random objects around his room.
We are thinking of going up to Sapporo tomorrow if for no other reason than to let Cian ride the subway, allow Sanae to go shopping, and permit me to keep my sanity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...