Thursday 26 July 2012

The River


 I come from down in the tani
Where Mister when you're young
They bring you up to do just like your Mammy done



We'd go down to the river
And into the river we'd gingerly step
Oh that damn river was  ever so cold


Then I got a hollow tube
And man did it ever float
And for my fifth birthday I got a red helmet and a life-jacket
We went down to Forest Kozan
And the guide put me in the water
No wetsuits, no thermal underwear
No way to stop the hollow tube



Oh we went down to the river
And into the water we'd go
And man was it ever cold


But I remember us riding in my daddy's Mazda,
His stereo on and my mamma complaining
About the Thunder Road and the Wrecking Ball
And as I lie awake in my bunk at night
I still feel the cold and the water white


 Now I spend my days down at the nursery school
Where all we ever do is play inside
But sometimes mister when its nap time
My dreams of floating come alive
And send me back down to the river
And into the river we'd dive (kind of)
Down to the river
My hollow tube and me 
Oh down to the river we'd go


No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...