Friday 14 June 2013

Gaelforce West



So what are you doing on Saturday, August 17th?
Nothing. Really? Well how about this: you and me, we rock on down to Glassilaun beach. Yeah Glassilaun, out west, way out west. Synge country, Playboy of the Western World and all that. It’s there on the road out beyond Leenane, this side of Newfoundland. 
Anyway, they’re organizing a bit of a run there, 10km I make, no, no, 14km there after telling me, all along the coast. Smashing scenery, you have the Mweelrea mountains sweeping down to the sea, you have the shore, the sand, the stones, the, eh, sheep, you know the whole John Hinde postcard thing.
So what do you say? 14km, a gentle jog along some of the most glorious, God-given scenery this island has to offer followed by pints in Gaynors in Leenaun.
Oh, hang on, there’s more apparently. A kayak section. After the run, you jump in a kayak and paddle across the fjord there. Ahh that’s lovely. Then we can double back for the pints in Leenaun.
What, hush down there, let the man speak. There’s more. Well, now. Right, it seems after the kayak there’s another bit of an auld jog up to the delphi road. Apparently its a bit boggy in places. That said there’s a wonderful wee restaurant up in Delphi that does a lovely bowl of soup. We could aim for that then - we’d need it I’d say, to be honest with you. And thus, suitably fortified we can head south back down the road for the scoops.
What?! Say again... there’s more. What? Go away. Really? A bike section. Right, yeah, I’m with you, go on. How far, like? Good jaysus, how many. 33 feckin kilometres. That’s a fair auld pedal all the same now. As far as Croagh Patrick you say. Ahh sure, if you have the weather for it and it’s lovely country to be up on the back of a bike. Plus there’s a great pub up in Murrisk that does this smashing seafood chowder. Not to mention the pints. 
So what do you say? You up for it? Course you are?
Ahh lads, don’t be telling me there’s more. There is ... what?
You what?
You feckin what?!
Your telling me, serious like, that we have to run up and down Croagh Patrick after dismounting from the bike.
That’s a big ask now. Especially after the bike. But I suppose we’ll put up and shut up. But then it’s down to Murrisk for the victuals. And let that be the end of it.
What?
It’s not what?
The end of it. You’re telling me there’s more. How much more?
12 kilometres on the bike on the back road into Westport. Why? Cause the race finishes there. Fair enough. I’ll probably be finished long before that, but I’ll give it a bit of d’auld Stephen Roche and freewheel across the finish line.
I can’t, can I. Why not? You have to leap off the rothar and run the last kilometre to the line. Run you say. Crawling would be ore like it. Probably pitifully crawling too. 
And then we’re finished? Are you sure? No swimming out and around Clew Bay or anything like that. 
Fine, grand then. We’re finished, so it’s a shower (optional), a bite to eat and off to Matt Molloys for a feed of pints. 
So you still up for it? Course you are. 
I’ll see you all then on Glassilaun beach on the morning of the 17th
You can enter here.
And yes, I already have.

2 comments:

  1. Hats off Brian. Lets just say me & my posse will be cheering you on all the way!! Not for the first time. How could you ever forget THAT Dublin Marathon....only for me and those bloody Mars bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see all this. I won't be joining you IN the race, but I'll do my damndest to join you before or after it. I'm usually good for a few Banners (geddit?) along the way!

    ReplyDelete

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...