Friday 16 July 2010

Fragrant Harbour






I spent last week in Hong Kong, ostensibly attending a conference on things educational. Such events tend to be very hit and miss - for every half decent presentation you stumble upon, you have to sit through hours of monotony as speaker after speaker tries to reinvent the EFL wheel. "How to make students more motivated to learn English" in all its variations is always a firm favourite. Exhortations to "increase their intrinsic motivation", or "enhance autonomous learning" are met with a barely stifled yawn, always accompanied by reams of statistics in a desperate attempt to give some faux academic respectability to some common sense observations. Asian academics are particularly guilty of this. So, we are told that students in the Engineering department of Shenzhen aren't all that interested in studying English, and, drum roll please, the presenter has the combined results from t-correlation, anova variance, and scatter regression analysis to prove it. By which time I am heading for the exit.
Thankfully, outside the exit was Hong Kong, which likes to term itself "Asia's world city". Not much you can argue with there, particularly if you are coming from Muroran, "Asia's New Jersey". It's also a bloody hot city, noisy too and one that is, in so many ways, immeasurably improved by nightfall. After dark is the time to do your sightseeing in Hong Kong - dazzled by the lights, you are blinded to the rather tattered city all too apparent during the day.

6 comments:

  1. Oh if I had known you were going. I could have reccommended my tailor! ;)
    Hope all is well. Love to Sanae and Cian
    Tiernan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realise you were in Hong Kong - great photo of the harbour. I take it that wasn't the view from your hotel room window!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how come my comment didn't appear? I posted it 2 weeks ago. Bro are you deleting my witty observations? I commented that there was nothing fragrant about the harbour when I was there in Dec 2005 and why you were calling it fragrant. Witty eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not witty Ciara. That's, just, well, you, I suppose. And I had nothing to do with your original comment disappearing. Probably just my blog exercising some quality control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess which one of your siblings does not have internet access?? Delayed reaction on my part to your Hong Kong posting. I could recommend a nice cold place for you to go away from that heat, sweat, humidity etc etc...............

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, as long as it is not Hokkaido, I'm game for it. Hokkaido is now rivaling Hong Kong in the heat, sweat, humidity, etc. We should have got air conditioning in the house.

    ReplyDelete

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...