Tuesday 1 December 2009

Guess who's coming to dinner



On Sunday we had Indonesian friends of ours around to the house for lunch. We got to know them through their daughter, Aika, who is the same age as Cian and goes to the same creche. Roma, Aika's mother, is a PhD student at the university, and her husband, Himsar, is himself a university lecturer in Indonesia who has taken a year's leave of absence to stay with his wife and daughter here in Japan. They are both from Medina in northern Sumatra were I spent one, mosquito-bitten night on my way to Malaysia many years ago. I don't to be honest, remember much about the city besides rather cruelly likening it to Beirut circa 1982, but by that stage I had exhausted my love for Indonesia and just wanted out. I am sure it is a much nicer place than a fleeting one night visit could possibly convey, but I'm not so sure I ever want to really find that out.
Anyway, the three came round for a very enjoyable afternoon of food, conversation and more food, while Cian and Aika turned the house into their very own playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...