Thursday 21 January 2010

Can you 'check' this please?

One of the less appealing aspects of my job (yes, there are some), is the the regular request to 'check' various documents in English. These have been written initially in Japanese, then translated into English. I use the term 'translated' very loosely, for I am not to sure how the process works. I suspect they use translation software - not very good software either - as the results are invariably a meaningless patchwork of words, bizarre phrasings, random punctuation and the apparent ramblings of a deranged mind. The same effect could probably be achieved by giving some of my first year students the original Japanese documents, some pens and paper, and vast amounts of Uncle Smokey's Gold Leaf Home Grown Barley Bud. As an example, this is (part of) what I am currently 'checking':
"In order to construct more healthy and cultural society, it is necessary to establish an idea (plan) and a method (technology) which synthetically realize social environment in harmony with nature. The object of this division is to conduct the education and researches concerned about the plan and the technology on social foundations and living environments linking to total systems of society. The plan is the design for utility spaces and facilities according with nature and social environment. The technology involves phenomena for environmental preservation, disaster prevention and underground development".
The repeated references to the 'plan' unnerve me. As do words like 'phenomena', 'disaster' and 'underground development'. If the document didn't clearly state that it originated from the the university's 'Division of Architecture' (sic), I would consider it the work of some sort of illiterate anarchist's group.
Anyway, to 'check' this means that I have to go back to the original Japanese document and try and figure what the hell these crazy-whack-shit-architects are on about. So 'check' pretty quickly morphs into 'translate', and what really should take me only an hour takes a full days work.
And then, after I have submitted it, the architects have the nerve to come back to me wanting to know why I got rid of 'synthetically realize social environment in harmony with nature ' and how are people going to learn about their 'plan' for 'underground development' if I have omitted it. Usually by that stage I then just toss them, their opinions and their documents out the window of my fifth floor office, providing them with the opportunity to 'synthetically realize' with the car park below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...