Sunday 14 November 2010

Stats

One of the nifty little features provided by those fine folk at blogger.com, home to this and countless other (equally unread) blogs, is the 'stats' function. This, as the name suggests, gives you statistical information on how many times your blog has been viewed (1209), what are the most popular entries (Festivals part 2), and, most entertainingly, who your audience are, or rather, what country they come from.
It makes for interesting and somewhat head-scratching reading.
From the statistics provided for the six month period from May to November of this year, Japan ranks first in audience numbers, as determined by the number of pageviews emanating from here, 464 in total. However, as most if not all of these can be accounted for by me either writing posts, editing posts, or satisfying my rampant ego by constantly checking to see if anybody has left any comments about my posts, it doesn't really count.
Next up is the United States with 213. Hello Ben, and perhaps Una too. There may be others, but like so many of their fellow country men and women, they are obviously the shy and retiring types.
In a somewhat embarrassing third place is Ireland, with 141 pageviews. Ostensibly home to my family and greatest number of friends, this relative indifference wounds. Or then again maybe I have hitherto not been aware of just how illiterate most of my Irish family and friends are. I'll try using less big words and maybe more pictures. Or get Cian to write the blog.
In fourth place is Germany with 54 views. I like Germany, the country, its people; I used to be able to speak the language passably and visited the country regularly during my formative years. But I am completely stumped as to who could possibly be reading this blog. I used to have some very good friends there, but I haven't, shamefully, been in touch with them for a long, long time, so I doubt it's them. Still, whoever you are, 'Wilkommen'.
In fifth place with 39 views is the UK. Obviously this is the Provost of Oxford University who is head hunting me for a Chair in Literature at All-Souls, albeit in a very leisurely and somewhat distracted manner, as befits an Oxford don.
Next up is, eh, Russia, with 30 pageviews. No doubt a considered geopolitical response to my insightful views on the 'Northern Territories Problem', an entry that has quickly become required reading for all post-graduate students as the prestigious Moscow Institute for Strategic Affairs.
Tied on 18 pageviews are, I kid you not, the United Arab Emirates and Turkey. It would seem I am a bit of a blogging powerhouse in the Middle East.
Finally, again tied on 11 pageviews apiece, are Brazil and the Netherlands. Whilst I admire their legendary soccer teams of the 1970's, I have no idea why anybody from their should be reading this. Maybe it is the dream of some boy growing up in the cobblestoned streets of Amsterdam or the favelas of Rio de Jainero to play for Muroran Otani soccer team.
Or maybe, as with so many others, they just typed in the wrong address.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brian! I read your blog all the time. After reading that Matthiessen post I just got too relaxed and mellow to post a comment. Feeling nice and edgy again now though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the highly educated member of the Gaynor family who diligently reads all your blogs but doesn't always post comments due to nappy changing / child rearing obligations. I enjoyed the Mattiessen post as it cast be back to our trekking days in Nepal and in particular to the ancient village we visited 2 days after crossing the Thorong La pass - it was the entry point into the Dolpo region but tourists needed a special permit to enter it. At the time I would have loved to have spent some time in that region but I think you needed to be entirely self sufficient (trekking Matthiessen style) and I'm not sure my poor old sherpa Harry would have stuck me and my backpack for that much longer. Let's make a return trip there some day......

    ReplyDelete
  3. こんにちは。 私達はあなたのブログを読むことを愛する! 書き続けなさい

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, although I love your blog, I think I speak for a large portion of your readers in saying that it's really Sanae's Bilingual Blog that keeps me coming back. It's just snappier!!

    ReplyDelete

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...