Sunday 19 February 2012

Up Mountain






We spent Saturday in Sapporo, or rather under Sapporo. While Mammy went shopping myself and Cian availed ourselves of a ¥1,000 all-day norihodai ticket for all forms of public transport. Train, tram, subway, bus, husky; if it moved we rode it. This is basically what a trip to Sapporo now entails for me. Back in the day when I was the etc., etc., Sapporo = Susukino, Rad Bros, late night ramen stalls and thundering hangovers. Now the only bit of Susukino I get to see is the subway station as we whizz up and down the Nanboku line for a couple of hours.
Thus to try and stave off increasingly poignant feelings of middle-aged inadequacy, I took myself off up Muroran-dake this morning where I met an 81 year old man coming down from the summit. He told me that he climbs the mountain pretty much every week in winter, weather allowing. Given that it was -10°C, snowing, with a pretty stiff westerly wind blowing, 'weather allowing' must mean a complete whiteout.
I'm not too sure if I feel less or more middle-aged inadequate after talking to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...