Wednesday 11 April 2012

And their off....

And so the new term begins. From last Monday classes have commenced and like a punch drunk, prize-weight fighter I have rumbled back in to the classroom to restore honour and glory to the battered world of ELT.
With the first years fear is the key. I come across as a Irish version of Gunnery Sergeant O'Hartman from Full Metal Jacket, telling, nay, yelling at my new recruits "THIS IS A GODDAMN ENGLISH CLASS AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR ANY OF THAT NIHONGO BULLSHIT FROM ANY OF YOU BROWN-EYED RICE MUNCHERS! NOW, DECLINE THE VERB 'TO BE' AS IN 'MY BOOT TO BE UP YOUR ASS IF YOU DON'T DO AS I GODDAMN SAY'! GODDAMN"!!
With the third years its all world weary cynicism; these guys are vets, they've already pulled two tours of duty in the university and yelling at them isn't going to get you anywhere. So instead I double up the cynicism and add sarcasm to the ante. So initial contact tends to be during roll call:

"Satoshi Sashimi?"
"Here"
"You think, huh? Not to me you ain't"
"Eh?"
"I don't like what that implies. Consider yourself failed".

Finally, I have the post graduates. They tend to be eager enough so I generally leave them alone but every once in a while I toss out a 'Today would be a good day to die' just to make sure they don't get too complacent.

1 comment:

  1. Well Mr Gaynor and co,

    How ye all doing east along? All is well here with my gang.

    Send me on your email address , got some photos for you....

    regards to all,
    slan,
    moss

    ReplyDelete

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...