Friday 27 April 2012

Rotten Potatoes


Alright, it seems that this weekend I might get to see a movie I might actually want to watch, as opposed to one my wife wants me to watch. So, I turn to you, beloved readers, hallowed possessors of both boundless cultural sophistication and exquisite critical discernment (though my sister's Ciara dismissal of the 'Tree of Life' means she continues to remain merely 'my sister'), to help me choose this weekend's premiere at the Tenjin-cho 'Palace of Light'.
The choices:
(1) Transsiberian: Barry Keane is Woody Harrelson as he and the Clare minors ride the Russian rails bringing the silky joys of hurling to the sullen serfs of Siberia.
(2) Take Shelter: Apocalyptic visions of the end of the world starring The Rolling Stones.
(3) Haywire: Apparently some of this was shot in Dublin in order to fully capture that authentic, gritty urban Third World vibe.
(4) The House of the Devil: Title says it all really though it may well be a documentary about my local ramen restaurant.

So, what I would like you to do is vote for the film you think is most worth 90 or so minutes of my life. Yes, I know that none of the above would really excite the attention of your average Cannes jury, but that's the movie mood I am in this weekend. The Tarkovsky triple bill will just have to wait for next Friday night.



Every home should have one.


1 comment:

  1. In the manner of the old Irish adage of 'Vote early and vote often', I don't see any reason why you shouldn't watch all four movies this weekend!
    4 x 90 = 360 mins. What's 6 hours out of 48-54 hour weekend? Sleep for 3x8 hours still leaves you with 18-24 hours of 'family' time (presuming nocturnal activities are not included). And these can use all the daylight hours that surely are plentiful in 'The Land of the Rising Sun!!
    Failing that - Woody competing in the Siberian Poc Fada should be good for a laugh!

    ReplyDelete

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...