Saturday 23 March 2013

Home

As the plane swung low across wind flecked Tokyo Bay on final approach to Haneda airport I thought to myself "it's good to be back". Which made me realize that I have come to consider Japan 'home'.
Which it is, I suppose, but as an emigrant its a little disconcerting to find yourself pining for fluffy white rice as opposed to mashed potatoes. 
I had a 90 minute lay over in Haneda - just enough time to do my souvenir shopping and hope I could appease Cian with a scale model of the Japanese government's official plane (Air Force Ichi) in lieu of a Texan fire engine. I sweetened the deal by adding a strawberry mousse to the package.
Then it was a turbulent hour and a half up to Chitose where, the Captain informed us, the temperature was currently minus five. Did the usual mad dash to the airport train station, made the Hakodate train and was back home in Muroran by 10:30 that morning.
Ahh, 'home'. Who'd have guessed I would find it here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...