Sunday 29 December 2013

All the 4's...



 All the fours then. The symmetrically numbered birthdays are beginning to mount up. As are the grey hairs, wrinkles, botox injections, etc. At least Santa came and left Cian with his sought after baseball glove. Which resulted in a disappointed sigh or two from this dyed in the wool GAA man. Will have to get back to Croke Park more often. That and get the GAA to lift their ridiculous ban on not streaming their games live outside of Ireland. Yes, I know they have a contract with Setanta to show the games live in Irish pubs the world over, but the world over doesn’t apparently include Japan. You can sign up as an individual subscriber to Setanta in China, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Hong Kong, but not Japan.
Why?
Was it something the Emperor said?
Do the GAA realize the sporting and cultural opportunities they are missing in Muroran? The buachaillí and cailíní dying to play the world’s greatest field games instead of shagging baseball?!
Anyway, Cian got his baseball mitt and preceded to reenact Steve McQueen’s cooler scene in ‘The Great Escape’ by repeatedly bouncing his baseball of his bedroom wall and catching it. For about all of 10 seconds until Daddy couldn’t stand the noise any longer and fecked his ball out the window and deep in to the bushes. It was my birthday after all. Plus I’m forty four so I am getting in some practice at being a ‘grumpy old man’.
My mood wasn’t particularly enhanced by the presents I received. A spoon and a hobbit sized birthday card. The card I can understand given that she is not of the race of men (not even of dwarves), but a spoon?!
Hello?
I suppose over the next couple of years I can expect a knife, a fork, etc., until I have a full set of cutlery. And which stage she will then precede to gift me a range of crockery.
All in all not a good day to be in Japan.


2 comments:

  1. I had an issue over spoons in Germany, where they don't have 'soup' spoons as we know them. Perhaps you moaned their absence once too often in Japan...?
    The card - I have no theories except that is mimics the size of........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian, You should try "Overplay.net", a VPN on your PC that will allow you to be anywhere else. So you can watch rte player, and netflix from anywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...