Tuesday 1 November 2011

Halloween

On Sunday last we danced with madness, entertained chaos, flirted with disaster; we held a Halloween party for Cian and some of his friends in our house.

Yes, that same feeling.
I'm not too sure what we were thinking. Actually there was no 'we' as such. Matters were taken out of my hands, decisions taken behind my back, invites issued and accepted without my knowledge. Basically I was Greece and Sanae and Cian were a well sugared mix of the EU-IMF-and the munchkins.
In total we had 14 people here - four mothers, 9 kids ranging from 5 to 12, and one bewildered Irishman whose hitherto belief in the peacefulness and decorum of Japanese kids was rudely and loudly shattered.
There were games - hide-n-seek, screaming hide-n-seek, just, basic screaming, etc. - and an unfortunate amount of sweets and chocolate which send the kids off rocketing around the house like they were in an M&M fueled version of a particle collider.
I left. Or rather, I fled for my life, and hid in my office at the university until Sanae rang to say that both the children and the riot police had left.




1 comment:

  1. What? No dunking in water for apples, nuts and other such harvest treats?
    No apple swinging on a string attempting to knock out the last remnants of kids milk teeth?
    Sweets! Hide 'n Seek!
    Pffffff!!

    ReplyDelete

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...