Tuesday 15 March 2011

Tuesday Evening

And so another long day closes over here in Japan. I am up in my office in the university preparing to do an interview for Newstalk, or rather Newstalk!, back in Dublin. They like their scare stories so they do.
It was a cool, crisp night and I decided to walk up to the university. On my way I met some of my students who were going out for a couple of drinks to celebrate their forthcoming graduation. March is the end of the academic year here and they will have their ceremony next Friday. They asked me to join them and I was tempted. Their good kids, I enjoyed teaching them and I wouldn't be averse to enjoying a couple of cold beers with them. I declined but my point is, this, right now, is the Japan I live in. Not what you are seeing on the television and the close on hysteric "Japan is doomed!!" reporting by the international media. Rather, life goes on, and people continue to try and enjoy it.
As so they should.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April - the most stressful month

 And so, with its usual unstoppable momentum, April has rolled around and with it the start of the new school and business year. Sanae must ...